Trail Name: Greenfield Township Community Park Trail
Trail Head: The trail begins from the park parking lot at 10430 Station Road.
Trail Hours: Open May through October from dawn to dusk
Amenities: Restrooms, Picnic Pavilions, Playground, Baseball Field
Parking: Parking lot is accessible from Station Road (Route 430)
Is Trail Handicap Accessible: Yes
Trail Length: 0.5 mile (The trail includes 12 exercise stations with instruction panels. To complete all 12 stations, visitors will need to walk the trail twice and walk a total of 1 mile.)
Trail Difficulty: Easy
Contact for Trail: Greenfield Township (T: 814.725.9110)
Erie County was organized in 1803 into 16 townships: Millcreek, Harborcreek, North East, Greenfield, Venango, Brokenstraw, Union, LeBoeuf, Waterford, Conneautee, McKean, Beaverdam, Elk Creek, Conneaut, Springfield and Fairview. Names and boundaries of these townships were not finalized until 1854 when the county settled on the 21 townships we know today. Greenfield Township owes its name and earliest settlement to Pennsylvania Population Company land agent Judah Colt.
While in the Greenfield Township area be sure to visit:
Hornby School Museum: (10000 Station Road, North East, PA 16428; T: 814.739.2720) A restored and working one-room schoolhouse, c. 1873. It contains many original desks, books, a stove and other school memorabilia on display. Most artifacts are hands-on for use in educational programs. They include a working water pump and a functioning outhouse. The museum is open June through October, Sundays, 1-5 p.m. or by appointment.
Colt Station: (Intersection of Routes 89 and 430) In 1796, Judah Colt created a small settlement at Colt Station. Mr. Colt was an agent for the Pennsylvania Population Company which owned much of the land in the Erie Triangle. His station served as a supply depot for Erie County’s earliest settlers, and was connected via the “station road” to a lake port at the mouth of Sixteen Mile Creek (Freeport). When Mr. Colt moved to Erie in 1804, the settlement dispersed.
Little Hope: (Intersection of Route 89 and Wilson Road) Little Hope, once known as Greenfield Village, was created in 1798 by Leverette Bissell at the northern most navigable point along French Creek.