Harborcreek Community Park Trail

Harborcreek Community Park Trail

Harborcreek Township was founded in 1803 on the shores of Lake Erie. Thomas Rees, surveyor with the Pennsylvania Population Company, was one of its earliest settlers. The township has a strong agricultural heritage, and many of the early farming families are remembered today through local landmarks and road and place names. Harborcreek has 7 miles of lakeshore with public access at Shades Beach Park.

Trail Head: There are 3 entrances to Community Park: 1. From Buffalo Road (Rte. 20) turn onto the township road just east of the Township Building, 2. From Buffalo Road (Rte. 20) take Clark Road south approximately 1 mile to park entrance, 3. From Depot Road take Firman Road west  approximately 0.6 miles to park entrance. The trail head is located beside the playground which is located in the northeastern section of Community Park.
Trail Hours: Open year round from dawn to dusk
Amenities: Public Restrooms, Playground, Picnic Benches, Concessions (Limited hours in summer)
Parking: Parking lots are accessible from the Clark Road and Firman Road entrances.
Is Trail Handicap Accessible?: The trail is a natural surface.
Trail Length: 1.1 miles
Difficulty: Easy
Contact: Harborcreek Township (T: 814.899.3171)

While in Harborcreek be sure to visit:


Fighting for Peanuts: The Gauge War Historical Marker (Located along Rte. 20 across from the Township Municipal Building at 5601 Buffalo Road): Visit Harborcreek Historical Society's historical marker in Harborcreek Township's Road Side Park and learn more about the violent confrontation that took place between Harborcreek residents and railroad workers in December 1853. The Park is perfect for watching trains. For information on the Society, visit www.harborcreekhistory.org.


Shades Beach Park (7000 East Lake Road): Shades Beach Park encompasses a large area along Eight Mile Creek, and features trails, woodlands, play areas, picnic grounds, a beach area and boat launch.


Wintergreen Gorge Trail (On PSU Erie,The Behrend College Campus) The trail head is located off Cooper Road and runs along Four Mile Creek.

April 20, 2012